Translate

Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving in Japan

Turkey-day passed without fanfare in our house. It was the day of the 800 meter race for our son at his school, so we were required to take his temperature and sign a permission slip for him to participate. It was a beautiful morning; sunny and low 60's (F). The race was supposed to take place the day before, but had been delayed due to rain. 
Parents in the "stands" ready to cheer the kids on

My daughter and I showed up at his school a little after 9:00 to cheer with the other parents as we watched the kids run by. Winners were announced, trophies were awarded to the fastest in each of the four groups they had split the kids into, and then it was time for the kids to go in and recover and resume their lessons. We waved to my son and he seemed in good spirits, but the school called me less than two hours later to tell me that he had developed a fever and that I needed to pick him up. A friend helped us take him home in her car, for which I was very grateful. He spent the remainder of the day resting and didn't eat much at dinner, so he went to bed early. By the next morning he had recovered well, and seemed his regular self by the time the American Thanksgiving was gearing up. 

We've had many friends ask us if it felt lonely to be away from America for the holidays. So far the answer is no. We miss our family and friends, of course, but it's rather nice to take a step back and appreciate missing them, if that makes any sense. And since we didn't need to prepare for Thanksgiving we were able to enjoy the birthday shopping that we always need to do this time of year. 
Our microwave and only oven. Can you see a turkey
roasting in here? Yeah, no, me either.

Did we miss the food? I think we missed the tradition of the food, but we would have regretted the great lengths and expense that a traditional Thanksgiving would have required. I mean, I haven't even seen turkey lunchmeat here. I know of at least one company that can deliver cranberry sauce to my door, but I'll pass, thank you. And without all of the planning and preparation that Thanksgiving requires, we don't feel like we're required to rush toward another holiday before recovering from the last one. It's much simpler this year, and I like simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment