Translate

Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

Japanese appliances

One of the places Seyasan took us to was a secondhand shop. We were highly impressed with the quality of the goods there, and didn't hesitate to buy used. For around $1000 we were able to have a dining set, refrigerator, washing machine, microwave, television, coffee maker and a range delivered to our house.


Our "new" gas stove with fish broiler and two burners
What I read about Japanese cooking rang true as I looked at the appliance options: they don't use ovens here. All of the stovetops were gas, and all of them had two burners. Most of them had a broiler tray for cooking fish.
Pretty typical as far as refrigerators go, though
larger sizes were available

I laugh when I think back to the microwave. It says it goes up to 1500 watts, so that's the one we bought. It turns out that the maximum wattage is used to toast and roast, because it is in truth a microwave *oven.* The maximum wattage I can get out of it for heating up a cup of water is 500 watts, but if that's just too much power for me to handle, I like I can tame that down to a low 250 :-)


 Our fridge isn't quite as tall as I am, and at 5'5" that means it's not tall at all. This is what we usually stock it with, especially the milk and cheese. We usually buy about 3 days ahead so that we don't have to go to the store *every* day. There are two compartments below this one, and they're both drawers. One is a freezer, and the other one might as well be. I'm still trying to regulate the controls well enough to keep the fridge cool and the other fridge drawer above freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment